Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Please Sit Down!

I politely asked this student to sit down more than I wanted to. And he acted as though I was not talking; completely ignoring me and hoping to get a laugh from the other students. Yes, he got laughs, sneers~ and took 15 minutes of everyone’s learning time.

Surely you don’t think he had the upper hand? Nor did he leave the class, No ma'am, he had extra work piled on him that was not an easy one page essay to write---due at the end of class. No respect for authority figures at all!



I am reading a book called, “Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow”, by R.C. Sproul; who is a minister and college professor.

 In Chapter 3 titled, “Worship”, Sproul recalls studying abroad at the Free University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands years ago. He expresses how much of a culture shock it was to him; due to the respect the students gave the professors and clergy. On his first day of class, the professor enters from the side door and immediately every student stood at attention. He approaches the podium, nods, and they all sit down. He goes on to tell how the professor lectured without any interruptions or any one asking questions. (Sproul, pg. 43)


Once the lecture was complete, the professor closed the books, and turned towards the door to leave. Again, the students stood up as he left. It amazed and intrigued Sproul immensely.  He writes, “This is something we need to be mindful of in our own culture (I AGREE). We have proclaimed our independence from monarchs and have little respect for sovereignty. We don’t know much about paying homage. We don’t know the “proper court etiquette,” particularly when we come into the presence of our King.” (Sproul, pg. 43). 


Dear brothers and sisters, honor those who are your leaders in the Lord's work. They work hard among you and warn you against all that is wrong.  Think highly of them and give them your wholehearted love because of their work. And remember to live peaceably with each other. I Thessalonians 5:12-13 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Are You Serving At Your House?

We are still  talking about racism, but NO ONE is talking about the TRUE “thing” or who is behind it all. The truth is, ALL of this separati...