Monday, March 2, 2015

Illusion?

When my son was going into the eighth grade, the school invited those who wanted to attend, to an open house. They served desserts and punch while the parents and students mingled with each other and the teachers. I was in the lobby talking with other parents that came by, when my son came up to me with two of his friends following him, and said, “Mom what would you do if I got a tattoo when I get older”?


I didn’t even ponder the thought, nor did I become agitated at the question. My question to him was, “What do you want to do in life? Do you want to be a doctor, a lawyer ~ what professional would you like to become”?  He responded, “I don’t know yet. I haven’t thought about it”. I asked him, “If you went to a doctor and he had several tattoos on his body, would you go to that doctor”? His response was "no", as if to say, "I never thought about it that way"!


I responded, “Don’t do anything in life you can’t undo”. He asked in bewilderment, “What do you mean”? “Well”, I said, “tattoos are permanent as well as death; so be sure you give it some thought before you do something, that once you do it, you can’t turn back”! I continued, “It’s important to maintain a positive image in any profession we choose, as well as good appearance”. He seemed satisfied with my response; but he still had that puzzled look on face! His body language said, "Oh well"; and went on to play with his friends until we left.

On our way home, my son told me that some of his friends asked their parents the same question and their parents became angry and refused to talk about it. Then I had a revelation also! My son wanted to see if I would have the same reaction; whereas, he received something better. God gave me the wisdom to encourage my son to think about things before he leaps into something that could become a hindrance in his life (as well as my daughter), instead of an asset.


In today’s society, you are able to have your tattoos removed, but I understand the procedure is expensive and painful. It’s a choice to get a tattoo; and it does not make you a bad person at all, but remember, a good image of oneself starts within!

Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many. Make sure that no one is immoral or godless like Esau, who traded his birthright as the firstborn son for a single meal. You know that afterward, when he wanted his father’s blessing, he was rejected. It was too late for repentance, even though he begged with bitter tears. Hebrews 12:15-17 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who Are You Serving At Your House?

We are still  talking about racism, but NO ONE is talking about the TRUE “thing” or who is behind it all. The truth is, ALL of this separati...