Monday, April 6, 2020

Mental Health!

I am not an expert on mental health; however, in the environment I teach at, I am finding out that the majority of my students’ conduct is more emotional distress than physical! 
Boots relaxing and cooling off! Learn from animals.
They know how to relax an unwind from a stressful day! 
There are persons, that do suffer from emotional and mental disorders; but that is not who they are. 

I have a true story to share with you. I had the privilege of substitute teaching in a large public school about 6 years ago, and I accepted an 8 week assignment for a teacher on maternity leave. This class was not a special needs class; however, the students struggled more than others in Literature and English. So this class gave them additional help outside of their general Literature and English class. All of the students were eager to learn, except a few; and one of them, was very quiet, yet attentive to his studies. 

I talked to him often and happen to find out he received a full scholarship to a prominent division one college. In addition, his Grandmother, Mother, Father, and oldest brother (who was a drug dealer) did not graduate high school. He was going to be the first one in his family (That he knew of) to complete high school and go on to college. He wasn't very tall or stout, just a determined young man to be better and do better.

This young man started out in school in the special needs classes all through grade school and junior high school. No one ever told him he could do better. Upon going into his Freshman year, he decided he did not belong in this environment of learning and took himself out of special needs into general education. (At my time there, he was a senior, graduating in June of that year)

First I ask him what made him make that move? His answer was; “I knew I didn’t belong there.” The second question I asked him was, “Through this transition, what was the hardest thing for you to adjust to?” His answer was, “Learning to think for myself!” He said everything was told to him of how to think, speak, act and live. Nothing was of his choice or desire. And through the transition, he felt very vulnerable and fearful!” 

We had a meeting that month with all of the teachers who were teaching inclusions and this young man’s name came up to be recognized and congratulated on his success and receiving the full scholarship to this division one college. One teacher spoke up and said, “ How can a child from his background receive a scholarship to this prominent school?” She went on to say, “I doubt he makes it!”

Mark 2:16-17 AMPC
 16 And the scribes [belonging to the party] of the Pharisees, when they saw that He was eating with [those definitely known to be especially wicked] sinners and tax collectors, said to His disciples, Why does He eat and drink with tax collectors and [notorious] sinners?17 And when Jesus heard it, He said to them, Those who are strong and well have no need of a physician, but those who are weak and sick; I came not to call the righteous ones to repentance, but sinners (the erring ones and all those not free from sin).

My first inclination was to belittle her, just as she belittled him, but I held my peace and said to myself, “God made it happen and God will see him through!”

What we as a Nation, in our small thinking and worldly views, are telling our children that only those who come from a good background are privileged and should receive good. Those who are living a life of poverty and destruction should not be entitled to anything good. 

It’s the concept of lock them up and throw away the key mentality. Every person in this world are born with hope, are deserving of love, and a chance at success just like anyone else; yet, no one wants to put in the work! If life was easy, I would have found that road myself; but there are obstacles we all encounter in life that is not pleasing or comfortable. 

Psalm 120  (ESV) 
 Deliver Me, O Lord
A Song of Ascents.
In my distress I called to the Lord,    and he answered me.Deliver me, O Lord,    from lying lips,    from a deceitful tongue.What shall be given to you,    and what more shall be done to you,    you deceitful tongue?A warrior's sharp arrows,    with glowing coals of the broom tree!Woe to me, that I sojourn in Meshech,    that I dwell among the tents of Kedar!Too long have I had my dwelling    among those who hate peace.I am for peace,    but when I speak, they are for war!

Christians are called to serve, not be served. Whereas, It does take a person who is “deeply” rooted in the Word, because the deception and manipulation is strong, but not powerful!

Colossians 2:5-9 AMPC 
For though I am away from you in body, yet I am with you in spirit, delighted at the sight of your [standing shoulder to shoulder in such] orderly array and the firmness and the solid front and steadfastness of your faith in Christ [that leaning of the entire human personality on Him in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness].
As you have therefore received Christ, [even] Jesus the Lord, [so] walk (regulate your lives and conduct yourselves) in union with and conformity to Him.
Have the roots [of your being] firmly and deeply planted [in Him, fixed and founded in Him], being continually built up in Him, becoming increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and abounding and overflowing in it with thanksgiving.
See to it that no one carries you off as spoil or makes you yourselves captive by his so-called philosophy and intellectualism and vain deceit (idle fancies and plain nonsense), following human tradition (men’s ideas of the material rather than the spiritual world), just crude notions following the rudimentary and elemental teachings of the universe and disregarding [the teachings of] Christ (the Messiah).
For in Him the whole fullness of Deity (the Godhead) continues to dwell in bodily form [giving complete expression of the divine nature].

Everyone of my students who are told they are smart, do perform overtime, as an intelligent person who is able to critically think things through! To see the change of thinking and studying and how to do it in a way that is beneficial for them is in itself a “victory”! 

Over these three years of teaching in the environment I am currently at, I have seen over 95% of my students come in broken by their wayward actions and speech (that is not for ears to behold) and leave totally different. They carry themselves different, they reach out to a struggling classmate who wants to give up and quit; and they come to me at the completion of class and thank me for giving them hope and believing in them. (That’s Who God is and I’m grateful I am His servant) 

Now Don’t get me wrong, there’s conflict, write ups, and numerous conduct reports done before the change; but never give up or give in! Although they are adults, it’s still a way to correct wrong behavior and move forward with a new attitude and gratitude. It is so rewarding to see the change, the tears and the ambition to keep moving forward - and some go to college and become a light in this world! 

Note: Not everyone will reach that goal. It’s a few who fall off and have to start the process all over again. 

Everyday I feel the anguish of labor pains, that are soon forgotten, once that student is born anew! Praise God! Everyday also is a teachable moment to the “Broken” in Spirit!

John 16:21
21 A woman, when she gives birth to a child, has grief (anguish, agony) because her time has come. But when she has delivered the child, she no longer remembers her pain (trouble, anguish) because she is so glad that a man (a child, a human being) has been born into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Dim the Light!